I've been in discussion with the Japan Kennel Club for two years now regarding correcting the large errors in some of the FCI standards for the Japanese breeds. It's been a bit of a merry go round since the FCI will not fix the standards unless they receive a request to do so from the JKC. The JKC is working on writing proper standards for the Nihon Ken, so prefers to leave the issues uncorrected until they send the new standards to the FCI.
When I first brought the errors to the attention of the JKC, they did seem concerned and interested in correcting them. But after a few conversations, the reply I received was that they were working on new standards, so to please give them a bit of time. I was hopeful that this process would take a year or two (as that is the time frame they were looking at), and these issues would be sorted out.
Well here we are two years later. I called the JKC today, and apparently there are still no new standards. They are stuck because NIPPO measures a dog's height at the back of the shoulder (the lowest point), while worldwide, dogs are measured at the highest point. I plead with them today that if they are going to take several more years to sort out the standards, to please in the mean time at least request that the FCI correct the errors in their published standards. The JKC standards are bare bone, and lacking, but they are at least correct. I don't know who translated the standards for the FCI or was overseeing the process, but there are some very basic errors in the standards that would have been noticed by an average proofreader or translator.
1. The Shikoku standard is missing coat colors (red, black & tan)
2. Shikoku bitches are incorrectly listed at 46cm (the standard for Kishu and Shikoku should be 52cm males, 49cm females
3. Kishu bitches are also incorrectly listed at 46cm
4. Kai are incorrectly listed at males 53cm, and females 48cm (where in god's good earth did they come up with these ridiculous numbers?)
5. Shiba are listed at males 40cm, females 37cm (just slightly off from the JKC standard of 39.5/36.5)
6. There is no call for 'urajiro' in the Shikoku standard.
I'm going to keep bugging the JKC every month this year, until I see some action. I'll be at the FCI show in Tokyo on Saturday, so maybe I'll start there.